Trying to eat healthy and local during a Gainesville summer is a challenge. It's too hot to grow much,and the farmers market reflect it. Thank goodness for muscadines, boiled peanuts, mangoes, watermelon, and blueberries!
Fortunately, there are also nutritious cherry tomatoes and peppers still coming in as well. Tossed with good old beans and rice and a little Super Salad Dressing, they make a pretty and healthy dinner.
Summer Beans and Rice Salad
- 2 cups of rice mixed with 1 or 2 cups of cooked beans (I used black beans and basamati rice mixed with the last of the wild rice from our trip to Minnesota.)
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1/4 cup mango
- A sprinkling of scissored chives and/or mint leaves
- Super Salad Dressing (1/2 rice vinegar, 1/2 vegetable oil, a little salt)
Mix it together, and you've got yourself a simple, meal for a hot summer night. Especially good with a side of watermelon or grapes.